How we decide on which day to transfer your embryos
Embryo transfer represents the final stage of the IVF treatment and is the climax of the IVF treatment cycle. How do we decide on which day to transfer your embryos ? Day 1 ? Day 2 ? 3 ? 5 ? Which is better ? and why ?
Unfortunately, human reproduction is not a very efficient enterprise. most embryos do not become babies. This is because many embryos have a genetic error ( which is often random) and will not implant, because Nature will prevent them from doing so. This is why the implantation rate even for top quality embryos is about 40%.
We are very flexible on the day of embryo transfer to increase our chances of success.
UTERINE EMBRYO TRANSFER
- This is the standard procedure. In this procedure, the Embryos are directly transferred into the uterine cavity.
- The procedure usually does not need Anaesthesia.
- Number of embryos to transfer is decided considering the day on which the transfer is performed.
ON WHICH DAY POST ICSI/IVF, CAN WE PERFORM EMBRYO TRANSFER ?
Generally embryos are transferred on Day 2, Day 3 and Day 5 post ICSI / IVF. Remember that day of egg collection is Day 0.
HOW DO WE DECIDE ON WHICH DAY TO TRANSFER YOUR EMBRYOS BACK TO THE UTERUS?
There are multiple variables which we consider while deciding when to transfer your embryos back to your uterus.
- Number of Follicles developed during superovulation:
- Number of eggs retrieved after Vaginal Egg Collection
- Total number of Mature Eggs (MII) injected
- Number of Eggs fertilized (i.e. Eggs with 2 pronuclei in them)
- Day 2 transfer can be considered for all patients.
- Need to have at least 6 embryos on Day 1 to consider transferring embryos on Day 3
- High number of Supernumerary Embryos can be frozen after transferring the best embryos into your uterus.
- Only 40 % Embryos make it to Day 5. This means patients with few eggs and those with a low fertilization rate cannot be considered for Day 5 Embryo Transfer.
- Low Freezing rate for supernumerary embryos as all Embryos don’t turn out to be top quality on Day 5.